Tuesday, October 21, 2014

A field trip to the Biology Department


Guess where I've been? I am sure most people will have seen the wonderful(and uber trendy) deers above the doors in GJW's classroom. I spent a delightful period there yesterday with Year 11 discussing their work, thinking, questioning and planning. Great learning. I was able to log onto the NZQA website and access the information about the Achievement standard (and an Excellence exemplar) in case I was asked a question. Phew!
I also went into Martin's classroom where enthusiastic Year 9s were learning about germination and pollination and were able to tell me a great deal about what they had studied so far. Off to year 13 where we talked about the challenges of digital versus paper notes, especially when it comes to those final weeks of revision. Impressed by amazing mindmaps!
And off to the final class where we were looking at chlororphyll, starch and cells in leaves. Cue boiling leaves, adding meths, removing chlorophyl and adding iodine. This required 20 boys to complete several tasks, including naming their test tubes and then showing some good knowledge identifying cells from a slide. Again Phew!
Thank you Biologists for allowing me a quick peek into your biological world!

No comments:

Post a Comment