Sunday, October 12, 2014
PD in your Pjs - Brilliant for your holidays!
Holidays are a time when we try not to think of school. Apart from the marking and planning for the next term, it is a time for those sleep-ins, afternoon naps, time with family and friends, reading those books you have had out of the school library for some time (sorry Linley), a bit of retail therapy and even trying out a new recipe. However, lots of us use holidays to spend time with other teachers at conferences to learn something new, catch up with old and new friends and perhaps be inspired. For example in the mid -term break, Melissa and Chris went to the NZATE conference in Rotorua. This conference could be followed by a Twitter hashtag, a shared google Doc and workshops notes shared via Google.
This holiday break was the first time I didn't go to ULearn for several years. In 2012 I flew to Auckland early on a Thursday morning, drove at breakneck speed to the Conference Hotel, and arrived just ijn time to hear my name announced as a CORE Ed efellow for 2013. Last year, I presented three workshops and enjoyed my last few days as an eFellow and listen to some amazing educators. So I was a little sad at not going this year - but for me it was "family first" time. However, I was able to follow the conference via the Twitter hashtag #ULearn14, shared google docs and live streaming of some workshops. Along with the conference Connected Educator Month is also running. Based on an idea for educators in the US, this year CORE Ed have decided to facilitate this month-long series of events
to celebrate teaching and learning in New Zealand. Again the connection is via Twitter #cenz14, the main list of events and a variety of teacher -driven blogs, book groups, educamps, dinners, coffee meetings...
If you are on Twitter I highly recommend two hash tags #chched and #cenz14.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment